Everyday should be pasta day. We found this amazing pesto hemp recipe from the talented @Hempwellnessnz Instagram page and we can't help but share the goods. Perfect during a busy week, it doesn't take you long to prepare or even dish up. Get those taste buds ready, this one is a keeper.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic (about 3-4 cloves, depending on size)
- 6 chopped mushrooms
- 1 fillet chicken
- 5 cups chopped cauliflower florets*
- 1 and 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 cup hulled hemp seeds
- 1/4 cup lemon juice (about 2 medium-size lemons)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon tamari
- In a large pot, warm the olive oil over medium-low heat. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, for about 1-2 minutes.
- Add the cauliflower to the pot then stir to combine. Pour in the vegetable broth and bring to a boil. Reduce to a low boil, cover with a lid and cook for about 10 minutes, until cauliflower is tender enough to mash with a spoon. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In the bowl of a blender (preferably a high speed blender) add the hemp seeds, lemon juice, salt & pepper, nutritional yeast, garlic powder and tamari (if using). Transfer the cauliflower and the broth from the pot to the blender. Blend on high speed until smooth and creamy. Taste test to see if you prefer more salt, onion powder, or garlic powder.
- Meanwhile, cook chicken and mushroom in the same pot to keep the taste alive.
- Transfer the sauce back to the pot and simmer over low heat. Serve with 1 large roasted spaghetti squash or 8 ounces whole grain fettuccine. If using pasta, add it cooked with two tablespoons reserved pasta water to the pot with the sauce. The starches in the pasta water will make it even creamier. Serve warm with fresh parsley and/or vegan parmesan cheese (see notes), and enjoy!