Finally, a healthy hemp seed banana muffin recipe that is naturally gluten free, dairy free, egg free/vegan, nut free and all natural. These are also refined sugar free muffins that are sweetened with bananas and a low-glycaemic sugar. We can't thank @pureella enough for this mouth watering recipe.
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seeds
- 6 tablespoons warm water
- 1 cup light spelt flour or all-purpose gluten-free flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder, aluminium free
- 1/4 teaspoon of fine sea salt
- 1/2 cup coconut palm sugar
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted but not hot (or grape seed oil)
- 2 very ripe bananas (total of 1 cup smashed)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup hemp hearts (optional)
- optional : 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 160C. Prepare a muffin pan with liners or parchment paper sheets.
- In a medium bowl, mix ground flax seeds with warm water and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- Back in the bowl with the flax seeds; smash the bananas into the flax seeds, add sugar, oil, vanilla extract and mix well.
- Add the wet ingredients into the dry and mix well.
- Add in the hemp seeds and stir to combine.
- Scoop into the muffin pan evenly.
- Bake for about 25-30 minutes or until golden on top and a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out dry and clean.
- Allow to cool for about 15 minutes before serving.
- Optionally, for a bigger brain health boost – you could also add 1bout 1/4 cup chopped walnuts to this recipe!
Have you tried this recipe? Let us know what you think in the comments below!
Want to know more about hemp? Read the What is Hemp? information page.