Sometimes it's easy to feel down during the colder months, not when making fun, healthy, adventurous salads. This one is brought to you by @simplyquinoa, the Super Green Quinoa Bowls with Hemp Seed Pesto. A power-packed bowl of goodness tossed in an avocado and hemp seed pesto dressing.
FOR THE SALAD
- 2 cups chopped broccoli
- 3 cups finely chopped kale
- 3 cups shredded brussels sprouts
- ½ cup cooked quinoa
- ⅓ – ½ cup pesto
- Olive oil for cooking
- Hemp seeds + red pepper flakes to garnish
FOR THE PESTO
- 1 and 1/2 cups of Basil
- 1 cup of Kale
- 1 and 1/2 tbsp of savoury yeast
- 2 tbsp of Hemp seeds
- 1 tbsp of Hemp seed oil
- 2 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp of Apple cider vinegar
- 1 clove of garlic
- Generous pinch of salt
- Pinch of black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF. Add broccoli to a sheet pan and drizzle with olive oil. Roast for 20 – 25 minutes until the broccoli is starting to brown.
- While broccoli is roasting, make the pesto. Add the basil, avocado, hemp seeds, nutritional yeast, garlic and lemon to a food processor and process until combined. With the processor running, drizzle in oil and then water 1 tablespoon at a time until you reach the desired consistency.
- Once the broccoli is done, remove and let sit while you prepare the remainder of the salad.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, quickly saute the kale and brussels sprouts (either with olive oil or water, your choice). Cook until just tender, about 2 minutes.
- Transfer kale and brussels sprouts to a large bowl and add the quinoa, broccoli and ⅓ cup of pesto. Mix together with tons or forks until pesto is evenly distributed throughout the salad. Add more pesto if needed to coat.
- Transfer to serving plates and garnish with additional hemp seeds and red pepper flakes if desired.
Have you tried this recipe? Let us know what you think in the comments below!
Want to know more about hemp? Read the What is Hemp? information page.