What is Hemp?
The Facts About Hemp
Hemp is one of the most nutritious foods available to humans and one of the earth's most ecologically sustainable crops.
- Hemp is a complete protein source which makes it a great alternative to meat and fish, and an ideal protein choice for vegans.
- Hemp contains more protein than chia seed, quinoa and pea protein
- Protein is an important part of every cell in the body. It is used to build and repair tissues.
- Protein is also used to make enzymes, hormones and other chemicals.
- Protein is an important building block of bones, muscles, cartilage, skin and blood.
- Because hemp is highly digestible, it is a great protein source for athletes.
- Hemp contains 20 essential amino acids including the 9 essential peptides that humans need from dietary sources. This makes hemp the most complete source of plant protein.
- Hemp is a great vegan protein source
GLA (Gamma Linolenic Acid)
- Hemp is one of only five known sources of GLA which is believed to be important for preventing inflammation and reducing joint pain symptoms of arthritis etc.
CLA (Conjugated Linoleic Acid)
- Hemp contains 15 times more CLA than fish oil. CLA is connected to fighting cancer and helping the body build muscle rather than store fat.
Essential Fatty Acids
- These are "essential" because your body is not able to make them on its own
- Hemp Seed Oil also provides the optimum ideal ration (for humans) of Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids (3:1)
- Hemp Seed Oil contains nearly 85% of the essential fatty acids crucial for brain and heart health.
Gluten-Free and Dairy-Free
- Hemp is naturally gluten and dairy-free making it a great alternative food source for people with dietary requirements
- Not only is hemp cholesterol-free it helps to reduce the bad cholesterol from our bodies
- Cholesterol-fighting phytosterols, with 1,480mg per 20g serving.
No Added Sugar
- Practically zero carbohydrates, with less than half a gram of sugar per 20g serving.
- Hemp is naturally hypoallergenic making it less likely for you to develop allergies from this super seed
- Vitamin E plus other antioxidants
- Vitamin helps to protect your cells from free radicals
- Vitamin B including folate
- Vitamin D3 - Hemp is the only known plant food source which contains this bone-building "sunshine" vitamin, which also contributes to optimum mental health
- Thanks to the natural phenolic compounds, hemp seed oil can also prevent the formation of cancer cells, relieve chronic inflammation and eliminate free radicals in our bodies.
- Omega-3 and Omega-6 are known to boost immunity and your metabolism
- Hemp can improve brain function
- Hemp contains magnesium which assists in supporting a healthy heart
- Hemp seed contains gut-cleansing fibre. Hemp feeds the good probiotics in your stomach.
- Hemp protein is readily digested and the amino acids are absorbed from the gastrointestinal tract into the bloodstream. Unlike many grains, legumes and nuts, hemp does not contain enzyme inhibitors, and the seeds do not need to be soaked or sprouted before being consumed in order to get their full nutritional benefit.
- Hemp is free from oligosaccharides (they cause bloating and gas).
Aids Weigh Loss
- Amino acids can increase energy levels and your metabolism - aiding in weight loss
Sustainable Food Source
- Hemp Seed Oil is the perfect alternative to fish oil. Not only because of the optimum Omega-3 and Omega-6 ratios, but also because hemp seed oil is more environmentally and ecologically friendly - oceans are not depleted and the crop reduces carbon dioxide from the atmosphere.
- Hemp Seed Oil is less likely to become rancid and will not contain heavy metals such as mercury which is present in the fish supply chain.
- Hemp is free from Genetically Modified Organisms (GMO)
- This makes it better for the environment and easier for your body to digest and better for your gut health!
- Hemp Seeds can be pressed for oil, which results in a seed cake that can be ground into protein powder and flour.
- From seed to oil, protein powders and flour, hemp can be incorporated into any meal.
- Hemp oil can be taken internally (via our Hemp Seed Oil or Hemp Seed Oil Capsules) or externally.
- Hemp Seed Oil is non-comedogenic which means it won't clog your pores. It has incredible benefits for skin hydration, eczema and psoriasis.
- Hemp Seeds have a delicious nutty flavour and are perfect for sprinkling over cereals, salads or adding to soups and smoothies and incorporated into your baking.
- Looking for inspiration? Check out our hemp recipes.